Analysis of games
styles
For games that rely on audience
knowledge, there are a few games that I felt were very helpful in giving me a
reference in what makes an educational game both fun and challenging. I've also
looked at the platform of the medium of what my game is played on. In this
case, I've looked at some mobile phone games as a way to analyse what games I
feel really capture the addictive essence of the games that are popular.
Big Brain Academy
This is one of the most popular
games that are considered educational. This game had a very wide audience,
which ranged from avid gamers to newcomers who may not play games on a regular
basis. I feel like one of the combining factors for its popularity which really
identified with most people is the challenging aspect of wanting to get a high
enough score. Without any actual physical reward, people are encouraged to come
back and play over and over again.
Temple Run
When Temple Run was at the height
of its power, a lot of people were playing it both casually and competitively.
The game had a system where you had a score depending on how well you played
and how far you had gone, which made the game have such an addictive nature.
Super Why!
This is a much smaller game than
any of the other games that are on the list, but I feel like it’s a great
example of an educational game that can be played with a both a minimalistic design
and execution. The game includes interactive storybooks in which kids are
instructed to plug in the correct words to complete sentences. Another feature
that the game has is that it lays out words which kids can then learn how to
trace, as a way to learn how to spell words correctly.
Clash of Clans
In Clash of Clans, the addictive
nature comes from the both the co-operative and versus nature of the games. The
game encourages players to play against each other to earn resources, items and
trophies. The reason why I've included this on the list is because I feel like
it’s interesting that one of the most popular games available is a game that
stresses both a competitive nature and a co-operative nature in equal measure.
The way games are played is changing and I feel that online is becoming an
interesting component that should be noted because of its availability in most
games that are played. Online play isn't in my game, but I think that a game
based on questions could work
No comments:
Post a Comment